Monday, June 22, 2009

Recommended Reading for Success

I am an avid reader and have a natural tendency toward life-long learning. As I'm struggling to give my business some traction, I have the privilege of having some very successful business people in my life. They provide the encouragement and motivation I was hoping to get from my family, and they also share their experience and knowledge. Many books have been recommended to me with the expectation that I actually apply the knowledge I gain from reading them. My self-study began with the 4 Hour Work-week by Timothy Ferriss, which has totally changed the way I think about things, and I can't wait to learn more!

Currently Reading:

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill- Highly recommended, and not what I expected. When I read the story about the "colored child," I searched online to see when it was written. Ah, 1937, which also explains the lack of businesswomen as well, which is just a reflection of the culture at the time. This extremely motivational book is not one to be blazed through. It's more like a textbook to be studied, written in, so the reader can slowly harness the virtues it describes.





Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins- This author was highly recommended to me, and I found this title at Half Price Books yesterday for $8. It was published in 1992, and with a million copies sold, you can pick it up on Amazon for 75 cents! The first chapter opened with "Where were you in 1980?" Well, I wasn't born yet, but the point was to ask yourself how you feel about the 10 years of your life that just passed. At 26, I just finished a year with some regrets of things I didn't do, I don't even want to think about 10 years! So I'm going to read this book, apply the knowledge, and get a head start on awakening my inner giant.




I placed an order to Amazon for like 10 other books which I will share in a reading list tomorrow. Please share in the comments any books that have inspired you or changed your life in some way. I might add them to my future reading list! For now I will leave you with a quote that has been on my dry erase board for awhile now:

"Success is the consequence of personal effort. You have to participate relentlessly in the mainfestations of your own blessings."

No comments: