Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tutorial: Recycled Magazine Magnets

Today I will be making a set of Mythbuster Magnets featuring Adam and Jamie! DH and I love the show. I also love green projects, and I would like to start sharing them. I chose an easier one to start with because I'm new at writing tutorial instructions. Please let me know how I do, and look past the dirt and glue on my nails and hands. True hands of a crafter, right?

Materials:
  • Magazine with cool images to recycle
  • small circle punch (mine is Fiskars brand)
  • E-6000 glue
  • Diamond Glaze (had to order from Joann's online, Etsy sellers also carry)
  • clear flat backed floral marbles
  • 1/2 in button magnets
  • scissors

1. Find the perfect image in your magazine. Cut it out and leave enough space that you get the whole image, and can get to it with the punch.

2. Punch out the image.

3. Apply Diamond Glaze to the flat side of the marble.

4. Place the image face down on the glaze. Look from the front to make sure the image is centered. The glaze is slick stuff so it will be easy to make adjustments.

5. Cut away any excess paper, and let dry. There is no drying time listed on the bottle, so I waited long enough to make a pizza and watch a movie with DH before getting back to the project.

6. Glue on a button magnet using E-6000, and let it cure overnight before using.

I had to photograph them outside for the least amount of glare. These are for my DH who lets me cut up his magazines even before he gets a chance to read them:

DH: Where's my new issue that came in the mail yesterday?
Me: Right here. (I hand it over)
DH: Where's the Mythbuster's article?
Me: Right here. (I place the new magnets in his hand)
DH: (rolls eyes) Thanks.......actually these are kinda cool.

3 comments:

Made by SwirlyGirl said...

Very cute! I'm gonna get on some easy and instant gratification projects like this! Thanks!

Emily Allie said...

Awesome, Mandi!! :) Your instructions and pictures are very clear! I can't wait to move into my new hosue so that I can start doing art/craft projects again!

Mandi said...

Thanks for your comments. I can't wait to share more tutorials!